The Israel Air Force on early Tuesday morning struck a terrorist cell which was in the process of planting an explosive device near the border with Central Gaza, the IDF confirmed.
The IDF also said that the IAF had confirmed a direct hit on the terrorist target. This was the third airstrike in twenty four hours. The third airstrike followed a continuing escalation between Israel and Gaza terror groups.
Only hours before the latest airstrike, terror groups fired two rockets, one at Sderot and one into the Ashkelon Regional Council area. Neither rocket caused casualties. Read more.
Barak responds to attack on Israel-Egypt border fence which kills Israeli workman, 2 terrorists: “New Egyptian president must clear Sinai of terror”; roads in area re-opened, residents allowed to leave homes.
The IDF on Monday ruled out the possibility that there may be additional terrorists in Israel, while Egyptian security forces were searching Sinai for a third terrorist thought to be involved in an attack along the border with Egypt Monday morning. An Israeli workman and and at two terrorists were killed in the attack.
The IDF re-opened roads in the area and lifted the order for residents to stay at home after confirming that the threat of additional terrorists in Israel had been removed.
Responding to the attack, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said that Israel expected the new president in Egypt – whoever it is – to retake control of the Sinai Peninsula and to clear it out of terrorist infrastructure. Read more.